Dear 15 year old self,
I know you so well and yet I also forget you entirely. You have so many dreams and assumptions, and you will lose them all. Perhaps lose is too harsh a word, maybe "loosen your grip on" might be better. I know how badly you want to stay young and how torn you are between that and the fact that deep down you know that life will be better when you're older, because once you're an adult the world will be easier, that people will take you seriously, that you will be able to do and go wherever you want. I'm here to tell you that I'm sorry honey, but none of that is true. I'm 20 today, 21 in four months and nothing is easier, no one takes me seriously, I can't go anywhere outside of this terrible town. I remember being your age, I had more of a life then than I do now. Some of it's my own fault, but honestly a lot of it is out of my control, so if I could give you any advice, do well in school, get your license early, keep your Target job at seventeen, figure out early who you're real friends are and hold them with an iron grip, research career paths for thoroughly, and most importantly...
...enjoy every single moment that you're not an adult.
No comments:
Post a Comment